If your child turns 4 in 2013, you are eligible to apply to public pre-K. It is a attractive option to private preschools for many Brooklyn parents. However, the most desirable public NYC pre-K programs can be more difficult to get in to than an Ivy League college. Here is what you need to know if you are interested in applying
- Pre-K is free. Families do not have to pay to attend programs offered by the NYC Department of Education.
- Programs can be half-day (2 hours and 30 minutes) or full day (6 hours and 20 minutes). Half-day programs may take place in the morning or afternoon.
- Programs are available at public schools and community-based organizations (CBOs). There are separate application processes for public schools and CBOs.
- Apply between March 4 and April 5. Early June: offer letters sent, June 5 – 19: pre-registration at schools.
- Admission is NOT first-come, first-served. All applications received by the deadline are treated the same, according to standard pre-k admissions priorities.
- Several schools have more seats available than the directories state.
- This year, for the first time, students already enrolled in a school’s pre-k will have preference for that school’s kindergarten over other out of zone kids who apply
To find out more, you can attend the Brooklyn info session from 6:00 – 7:30 pm on 3/11:
|Brooklyn||Monday, March 11||Sunset Park High School||153 35th Street|
- Here is a directory of public pre-K programs.
- Apply online or in person at a Dept. of Ed. Enrollment Office starting March 4.
- Learn more about what pre-K in NYC is all about at Inside Schools.
- Learn how to increase your odds of getting in the public pre-k of your choice at DNAInfo. They also have a great interactive chart showing the (often daunting) acceptance rates.
From Joyce Szuflita or NYC School Help, here is a list of elementary schools that parents in and around Downtown Brooklyn could consider touring:
- PS 8 final open house 3/6 9-10:30am
- PS 9 Tours 3/15, 4/12, 5/31 @ 9am register online
- PS 11 Tours 3/14 @ 9:00am
- PS 46 Open Houses/tours for Dual Language Spanish: 3/15, 5/3 @ 8:30-10am, no need to register, for info: Parent Coordinator, Cecilia Lopez or Jay Johnson or at 718-834-7694, non Spanish speakers can apply up to the first grade level, Spanish speakers at any grade
- PS 133 5/10 register here They are looking for fluent Spanish speaker so they can open a second DLS class