For anyone with a child born in 2010 or later, the current battle to expand public pre-K should be of special interest. Mayor De Blasio and Governor Cuomo both have plans for expanding all-day free public pre-K. How this is funded and implemented is being worked out right now as the state outlines their next budget. Meanwhile the pre-K registration period is now open for the 2014-15 school year. The deadline has been extended until April 23rd, because if De Blasio gets his way, thousands of new spots could get added.
The bigger question is where would all these seats go? Many schools, like P.S. 8 in Brooklyn Heights, are already crowded and are being forced to drop their pre-K programs to make space for other grades. Community based pre-K programs (free programs located in facilities other than schools) may see the biggest increase in funding. Placements are made in June.
If you are interested in public pre-K programs for your child born in 2010, here are some options to consider in the area:
- P.S. 307 (DUMBO/Vinegar) – This District 13 school is adding 4 pre-K classes for a total of 6 (108 spots) in response to P.S. 8 losing theirs. They recently received a grant to become the MAGNET SCHOOL for STEM STUDIES and students from across D13 can apply. You can read my thoughts on the school after a recent visit. Upcoming open house dates: Wednesday March 19th @ 6P and Tuesday March 25th @ 9A.
- P.S. 282 (Park Slope) – This District 13 school has 72 spaces for next year and has taken kids from across the district in the past. Upcoming tours: Wed. March 26th and April 9 @ 9A.
- P.S. 133 (Park Slope) – This choice school is open to residents of District 13 and 15 and has 46 slots for next year. They have dual-language French and Spanish programs. Contact the parent coordinator.
- P.S. 20 (Fort Greene) – They have only taken zone kids from the past but are possibly adding another pre-K class for next year.
- P.S. 38 (Boeurm Hill) – Has 72 spaces and have taken students from across the district. Next tour: Monday March 24th @ 9AM
- PS 46 (Ft. Greene) – Has a NEW MAGNET GRANT (Communications and Media Arts through Applied Training).They also have a Dual Language Spanish program for PreK-5th grade. Open house for the Dual Language program will be on 3/26 @ 9am. For more information e-mail Mr. Johnson at email@example.com.
- P.S. 261 (Boerum Hill) – 36 spots and has only been taking only zoned kids recently. Next open house: Tue, Mar 25th @9AM
- The latest Pre-K directory (PDF).
- How to apply to pre-K on the DOE website
- Find out your chances of getting into a particular pre-K program with this interactive feature from DNA Info.
- NYC School help on the pre-K application process.
- More info on the battle between De Blasio and Cuomo to fund and implement wide-spread universal pre-K.