We are a growing association of more than 150 families who live in Downtown Brooklyn. We started this group to address an issue that is of great concern to us and many other residents of the neighborhood that we’ve talked to: schools. After moving to Downtown Brooklyn (the fastest growing neighborhood in the city) we were surprised to learn that the city has no plans to build new schools to accommodate the hundreds (and eventually thousands) of children moving to the neighborhood. We are spearheading the effort to advocate for new public schools (K-8) in Downtown Brooklyn and would like your help.
This is why we need need a new school:
View Downtown Brooklyn Residential Development in a larger map
- Nearly 15,000 people have moved to Downtown Brooklyn in the last 10 years and that number could double to 30,000 in the next 5-10 years thanks to the rezoning of the neighborhood and resulting residential building boom…that’s a small city’s worth!
- In 2004, the city expected 979 residential units to be built as a result of the rezoning – in 5 years from now there will be more than 13,000 new units built since then.
- The fact of the matter is that there is not a zoned public elementary school located in the neighborhood of Downtown Brooklyn and the Department of Education does not currently have a plan to build or start a new school for all these new children.
- It is estimated that more than 2600 elementary school-aged children will eventually call Downtown Brooklyn home yet there is only around 400 available seats in the zoned schools in the surrounding neighborhoods (where new developments continue to add more children.)
- Estimates show that more than 1000 middle schoolers will also be moving to the neighborhood.
We formed this group to meet with local officials and pressure them into action. If you are interested in attending a meeting to learn the latest and help out, or even if you just want to be kept up to date with what is going on with the schools in our area, please sign up to our newsletter.
We also are interested in informing parents about all their public education options so that they can find the right school for their children. This website and our Facebook page are forums where parents can share news and information about schools in the area. We would like representatives of public, private, and charter schools that serve the neighborhood to come meet with our group.
Please join our bid to make sure that Downtown Brooklyn becomes a great place to live and raise children in addition to being the exciting hub of retail, higher-education, entertainment, and high-tech business that it is fast becoming.
- Chris and Erin,
residents of Downtown Brooklyn and parents of a 4 year old.
info (at) dobroschools.org or
Contact us with questions or to get involved.